What is a Neck Lift?
Neck lift surgery corrects the signs of aging on the neck and the jaw line. It often accompanies face lift surgery for a more comprehensive facial rejuvenation. Aging of the neck is usually a combination of loose skin and muscle and some excess fat.
- The benefits of neck lift surgery include:
- Removing loose, sagging skin from under the chin
- Correcting visible vertical bands on the neck
- Eliminating areas of fat from under the chin (double chin) and on the neck
- Restoring a smooth, youthful-looking neck
About the Procedure:
Your surgeon will make a small incision under your chin and possibly in front of and/or behind your ears. These incisions allow access to the neck muscles and any fat in the neck. The neck muscles can then be tightened and any excess fat removed. Your surgeon may choose to remove the fat with liposuction or by cutting it out. The incisions near the ears also allow for removal of some excess skin. Once the muscle has been tightened and any excess fat removed the skin is re-draped over the neck. Any excess skin is removed and the incisions are closed
A Neck Lift procedure will last approximately two to three hours. If you are having a neck lift in conjunction with liposuction, facelift, forehead lift, or other surgeries, the time will vary accordingly. Your exact procedure will depend on your desired results and your own personal circumstances.
This surgery is done on an outpatient basis with general anesthesia. Because safety is our first concern, we always work with board-certified anesthesiologists to ensure that your surgery is as safe as possible. Following your surgery, you may recover in a medically supervised setting or in the comfort of your own home.
Recovery & Aftercare:
- Patients may experience some temporary bruising, swelling, or numbness
- Bed rest the day of surgery is recommended.
- Limit activity for the first week following surgery.
- Avoid strenuous activities for about one to two weeks.
- Return to work within 10-14 days.
- A Facelift – for removing excess fat, tightening underlying muscles, and redraping the skin of the face and neck
- Blepharoplasty – for wrinkles and/or bags around the eyes
- Laser surgery – for skin rejuvenation
- A Browlift – to reposition the forehead),
- Liposuction – for the removal of fat under the chin
- Non surgical procedures may include BOTOX Cosmetic® injections or injectable fillers.
Please discuss these additional options with Baltimore Plastic surgeons Drs. Cohen and Lickstein.
A Neck Lift is considered a cosmetic procedure; therefore not covered by insurance.